History

HISTORY

THE CONGREGATION OF THE SONS OF THE IMMACULATE CONCEPTION WAS FOUNDED IN ROME ON SEPT. 8TH, 1857 BY THE BLESSED LUIGI MARIA MONTI.

In 1857 Padre Monti arrived in the Holy Spirit Hospital and founded The Congregation of the Sons of the Immaculate Conception with the scope of assisting the sick and educating those youth in need. With the Immaculate Virgin as the mother and the patroness, the Congregation first spread in Rome, Lazio, Orte, Civita Castellana, Nepi, and Capranica. Until his death in 1900 Luigi Monti spent his energy also giving religious formation to his religious brothers so as to continue to serve the needy and abandoned.

Today members of the Congregation include brothers, priests, doctors, pharmacists, teachers, lab technicians and nurses. The CFIC is present in over 20 countries all around the world including Italy, Argentina, Bolivia, Peru, India, Cameroon, the Philippines and more! Many of these facilities work alongside existing agencies and other religious orders and fulfill welfare services in such places as leper colonies, institutes for the handicapped, community centres for the mentally ill, shelters for families and children in need, secondary schools, assistance for homeless and street children, inhabitants of favelas (squatter settlements), hospital facilities and counseling for the sick.